Tuesday, January 8, 2008

Big Game Safari, Harbor City Style!

Over the summer and fall I put a lot of time and $$$ into a sprinkler system and sod for our front and back yards. Now that the grass is in, it seems I've had a lot of unexpected visitors coming by to help me celebrate - most of them, I've noticed, are furry, four-legged, and wear stylish burglar masks. Unfortunately their idea of partying is overturning every last square of sod hunting for grubs and worms.

Now I'm a big-hearted lover of all of God's precious little creatures. But if I ever catch those little b@$+@^&$ I'm gonna be having me one fine coon-skin cap. Since our diversity-embracing township has deigned not to assist me, I must embark on my own little "relocation program." With the help of a borrowed cage, I've been staking out the little buggers for several nights now. It's not going so good.

1st night: neighbor's cat
2nd night: nada
3rd night: trap sprung, but nothing caught
4th night: well, see for yourself...



L found him adorable. Stacy felt sorry for it and wanted to feed it blueberries. (She rarely lets me eat her blueberries!) Then it hissed at her and she lost some of her maudlin affection.

Now I'm not too fond of possum-skin caps (though it might make one heck of a nice toupee), so I expect I may let this one return to the savage wilderness. But I'm certainly not going to feed it blueberries and give it a relaxing warm oil massage before doing so. A lot of flash-bulb photos and pokes with a small stick will hopefully dissuade our little friend from making a return visit. (Yeah, right. Who am I kidding...)

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Steve & Stacy,

I haven't had a chance to get on and write lately, but I wanted to take a minute to tell you that I LOVE THIS!! I check it out each week and truly look forward to seeing what has been happening in your neck of the woods! The kids are growing so fast and are just beautiful. It's a nice way to stay in touch in this busy world that we live in.
Love, Kim

Steve and Stacy said...

Hey Kim! I'm really glad you like it. Keeping you "east coasters" (as we snooty fake Californians like to say) up to date is really why I wanted to do it. Mimi & Grampy, especially, can never get enough pictures.

--Steve

Anonymous said...

Fake Californian??? I think not, once an East coaster always an East coaster, cuz! :) It's in yer genes. Your parents must LOVE this blog. Hey, Al & I are a Nana and Papa and all I can say is thank goodness for digital because there is not enough film in Maine to keep up with my need for pictures of those babies!

Hugs, Kim