Sunday, July 13, 2008

Promises to Hold On To

I got up earlier than everyone else this morning and was doing some work on the computer. After an hour or two I heard the sound of the hall door slowly opening, and soon thereafter I saw L peeking at me shyly, still half asleep, around the corner. Her hair was a rat's nest and her eyes were bleary and puffy from her rest. For some reason this moment melts me every time it happens. I get all sentimental and gushy.

"L," I said, "Can you come over and sit on lap and let me give you hugs?"

L trotted over obediently and climbed up while I succumbed further into paternal emotionalism.

"I love giving you hugs. Someday you'll be all grown up and you won't want to cuddle with Daddy or sit on his lap anymore" (At least I hope not.) "You will still love your Daddy, but you'll want to play with your friends or your toys instead of snuggling with me." I was really over the top.

"Daddy," L replied, "I'll still love you, even when my friends are over."

No comments: