Sunday, March 29, 2009

We Got the Beet!

The Go Go's have nothing on us!

A couple of days ago I picked up some fresh beets at the farmers' market and tonight I made a beet and fennel salad with them. It was really good, but the kids took one look and would have nothing to do with it; the poor lonely beets sat untouched and unloved on both of their plates. Much fruitless begging and pleading accomplished naught. (I considered beating them, but decided it would be redundant.)

Finally, in a moment of inspired brilliance, I came upon the motivational nugget I was missing.

"Hey, kids," I said nonchalantly. "You know if you eat a lot of beets your pee turns purple."

"No way!"

"Way! But the only way I can prove it to you is you have to eat all your beets."

A beet gorging ensued. The rest of the evening has been spent in the bathroom with the kids giving themselves near-strokes trying to squeeze out every last drop of pee to see if it truly is purple. (None as of yet, but I told them wait till morning!)





No comments: