Wednesday, December 16, 2009

Make Sure You Get the Pre-Nup

I had a rather strange conversation with my daughter today. She came up to me with a pen and notepad and wanted to ask me some questions.

"What's your phone number?" she asked.

"The same as yours," I answered.

"No! No! You have to pretend, like, that you don't know me, and like, we are getting married, and we need to ask questions."

"Oh, I see," I said, even though in truth I didn't; I gave her my phone number. She then asked for my address and how to spell my name. She then asked me how many children I wanted to have. I thought that was a little personal of a question for a first date, but I told her that I would want two children.

"What names do you want for them?" she inquired. "Like, maybe L?" she suggested.

"Yes, I would want one of them to be named L, and the other I would want to name N."

"Oh, I know how to spell that! And I used to have a brother named N, so I know how to spell that one too! Do you want girls or boys?"

"I would want L to be a girl and N to be a boy." She seemed pleased with this.

"What do your kids like to eat? My son N likes macaroni and cheese and my daughter L only wants macaroni and cheese too." I told her that her kids sounded an awful lot like I would expect my future children to sound like.

The questions went on in this fashion for quite a while, and I was asked to give my parents names, my children's play preferences, and what I wanted to buy for my future children. I was a little surprised, because when I married Stacy (my first wife), I never had to fill out so extensive an application. I guess the younger generation wants to be sure what they're signing up for.

No date has yet been set for the upcoming nuptials, at least none that I'm aware of. I suspect I may be the last to know.

No comments: