Sunday, January 17, 2010

N Knows Noses

At dinner tonight N posed a random stumper, as he is prone to do. "Why did God make us with two eyes and two ears?"

Not being able to contain my more nerdy impulses, I immediately launched into all the physiological reasons, helpfully using lots of terms like "binocular" versus "monocular" in the process. "God gave us two eyes to help us see distances and tell how far apart things are," I relayed to L and N's fervent nods of approval and general ascent. "And God gave us two ears so that we can tell what direction sounds were coming from." L immediately suggested that having two ears would be a tremendous advantage if a dinosaur were to roar beside you because then you would know where it is coming from. I agreed but chose not to go into the practical discussion of the likelihood of ever needing to distinguish the angle of incidence of a dinosaur roar.

Then N asked, "Why did God give us two nose holes?" And there my brilliance hit a bump. As I sat there and pondered, N offered his own suggestion. "So we can pick our nose better?"

He's probably got a point.

No comments: