Sunday, December 5, 2010

Studies in Structural Sucrose

N has a wicked cough this morning so he stayed home from church; since Stacy and L had obligations already I was relegated to staying home and entertaining him.  I've learned this morning that there's only so much Candy Land a sane adult can tolerate before he no longer can claim to be in that statistical focus group any longer.  Playing Candy Land with N is not particularly physically demanding, mind you.  He picks out your color.  He holds all the cards.  He flips them and announces the move.  He moves your piece as well as his around the board.  I am reduced to passively sitting and watching.  There are, I suppose, all kinds of real-life parallels involving over-indulgence in candy and a sedentary lifestyle...


Following the umpteenth game, when I finally had my virtual diabetic seizure and called the games off, we spent our time analyzing the Candy Castle and trying to better determine exactly how it was built.  The moat is, of course, molten chocolate.  N was quick to point out the gumballs from the gumball turret cascade down a hidden tube to be flung into the moat on the chocolate water wheel.  N was stumped to identify the flat candies that made up the paddles of said water wheel.  He evidently has not yet been introduced to Jolly Ranchers...  The towers flanking each side of the cake castle are clearly made of chocolate and "banilla" softserve ice cream and crowned with a heavily frosted cupcake.  We discussed the implied culinary technical advances that permit such structural integrity in ice cream on such an obviously sunny day.

After a few minutes I think N started getting a little creeped out by my geek fascination in the discussion and wandered off, leaving me to ponder by myself whether the moat is perpetually heated to maintain its vibrant sheen and silky viscosity, or if it is actually some inferior grade of commercial cocoa-flavored product specifically designed for mass production and a very low melting point.  Anyone interested in taking up the discussion can feel free to contact me.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hmmmmm.....that seems to be the way that Candyland is played at my house too! Maybe some strong control freak genes in the bloodline. :)

~Kim