Saturday, February 26, 2011

These Are the Voyages of the Dawn Ship Treader

Tonight we finished Book 3 in the Chronicles of Narnia:  The Voyage of the Dawn Treader. This has always been my favorite of the Narnia books, so I particularly enjoyed reading it to L and N.  Their hands-down favorite throughout the book has been Reepicheep, the honor-obsessed mouse with a Napoleon complex.  They would always laugh heartily whenever their diminutive hero would come out swinging.  I found it amusing because in all my previous reads I had always loathed the character, who seemed to represent only arrogant machismo and bravado to me.  But as I've read it this time and I've watched the kid's reaction to him, I've somewhat softened my antagonism toward the good mouse.  I would no longer like to see a cat make a nice meal of him, but I still wouldn't mind seeing Reepicheep get a good, if not fatal, feline thrashing from time to time.

No comments: