Saturday, July 30, 2011

Stacy Is Easily Shocked

Click Photo 
Stacy came choking and stumbling into the kitchen this morning in semi-hysterical sobs. I grabbed her before she collapsed and tried to figure out between the tears what was wrong.

"I... I... I... was... electrocuted!" she eventually choked out.

I checked her for signs of transparency and sheet-like attire and finding none, I began to secretly doubt her initial claim to have passed beyond. Nevertheless I got her on the couch so that I could either calm her down, or lay her out with a rose on her chest, as the need might be. After a few minutes of gurgled snorts into my shoulder she was able to compose herself enough to give me the run down.

She had been working in the master bathroom shower with the shower curtain off, cleaning away some tile chemicals she had had soaking on the walls. She was using the hand-held shower sprayer to do the job and managed to get a good heavy stream of water to run out of the shower over the wall and down into an electrical outlet nearby. Our contractor had been doing some work in the bathroom and the lights over the sink had been taken out, so he had left an industrial-sized floodlight plugged into that outlet for our use. Evidently the light started flickering as the wall-tsunami ran past the outlet and within another second the water wave had coated the wall past the electrical outlet down to the floor. That's when she started feeling her feet tingle. In a blind panic she dropped the shower nozzle and sprang out of the shower to come find me with the news of her untimely demise.

After fifteen minutes or so of clutching me on the couch she regained the presence of mind to remember: "I left the water running."

I felt a bolt of electricity surge through me as I sprung up and bounded to the bathroom, there to find the shower nozzle spraying heavenward like a park fountain and an inch and a half of water over the entire floor. A nice foot or so of the carpet in our bedroom was mushy and swamp like. I think I may have drowned.


P.S.:  Next time you see Stacy, be sure to compliment her on her new perm.


No comments: