Monday, September 5, 2011

On the Home Front

Our friends the Gnadts gave us a big bag of lemons off their tree yesterday.  This morning L and N set to work juicing them and making lemonade.  Stacy and I were in various and sundry parts of the house while this operation was going on.  L eventually called us out to look.  


"What are those green things floating in there?" I asked.

"That's mint!" she answered. Hmmm. Nice touch, I thought. She went on: "And that's basil and that's rosemary and there's some oregano."



I spent some time this morning putting up some shelves in L's room that I'd been procrastinating on. I had way more helpers that was required by labor laws and standards, but the job got done anyway.  N in particular found my stud finder and was mesmerized.

"What does this do, Daddy?"

"It finds the wood under the walls so you drill screws into it," I explained.  That satisfied him and he ran off to put my Enegizers to the test. A few minutes he came back holding a bunch of screws.

"Look Daddy!  There's wood in these screws!" He beeped the stud finder over them to prove his point.

"Well actually, it doesn't look for wood specifically. It looks for density."

Again, N ran off. A few minutes later I get another joyful squawk of discovery.

"Daddy! There's dents in the wall and there's dents in the door. And look, there's even dents in my head!"





No comments: