Thursday, February 7, 2008

A Finished Portrait

I finished another painting in my oils class last night – a portrait of Stacy and N. I should take a better picture; the flash put a pretty bad glare on the image. I painted this one from a picture. I can't imagine how I would have been able to keep my sanity with live sittings! The frustrating thing with painting kids, even from photos, is that it takes so long to complete the painting (this one took about 4 months) that the kid has changed so dramatically from when you started that it seems like you haven't got a very current portrait when you're done.

Usually try to have two paintings in work at a time so I can shift back and forth between them as they get too wet to work on. Right now I'm working on an ocean scene for a friend at work, but I don't have a second. Need to come up with something.

No comments: