Saturday, February 2, 2008

A Plug for Pratchett

I finished reading Equal Rites yesterday. If you've never read anything by Terry Pratchett, I heartily recommend him. He was recommended to me by a friend a while ago (Thanks Dave!) and I feel obligated to pass him along. Not that I need to. He has the dubious honor of being the most shop-lifted author in the U.K.

He writes in the fantasy genre, but don't dismiss him on that alone. His books are really novel-length satires and parodies. (Equal Rites satirizes the feminist movement and generally mocks the whole witch/wizard realm of the fantasy genre.) The same dry British humor one would find in Douglas Adams - kind of a literary Monty Python skit.

His most famous books form the "Discworld" series about a disc-shaped world carried through space on the backs of four giant elephants who are, in turn, astride a humongous space turtle. Discworld is full of neurotic wizards, sordid townspeople, and monsters who want so desperately to be terrifying, but who in general don't quite cut the mustard. Goofy, silly - total brain candy.

I've read four of the Discworld books now (there are dozens, I believe) and will keep pulling them out whenever I'm sick of more highbrow lit.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

WOO-HOO!!! Another TP aficionado!! We'll have to come down this summer and share our favorites! Ever since a friend gave us "Wee Free Men," (a book about the small, blue, kilt-wearing 'pictsies') we've been addicted like cocaine to the man's books! Try "Going Postal," another one of our favorites! Also, any book with Death, as he is another favorite character.

Brittany

Anonymous said...

Since the library has Equal Rites, I'm going to give it a looky. This really doesn't sound like my cup of tea, but I'll let you know.
BTW, your oil painting of S & N is so awesome!
Senora McAuley

Steve and Stacy said...

Buyer beware! (Or in this case, checker-outer beware!) There is a no-money back guarantee on all my recommendations!

--Steve