Saturday, March 15, 2008

Flash-forwards I'm Not Ready to Deal With

A month or two ago my good friend Ray pulled me aside and said, "Hey, tell your girl to keep her hands off my boy." I was stunned and appalled by the affront to my daughter's modesty. But time has apparently borne Ray out. Ever since L got that Li'l Nurse's Kit, things have taken a turn for the parentally problematic. I'd love to say it's all that no-good John boy, but I'm beginning to suspect I have a Delilah on my hands.



It seemed to start off innocent enough: marginally romantic picnics in the backyard, some carefree flirting in the gardening.




Next thing I know, she's chatting up his sister Ruth (obviously trying to get an in), and attempting to sneak in a hug at any op.

And then there's the ever-so-subtle "Hey, mister knight-in-shining-armor, my car seems to be acting funny" ploy. (Don't I know that one well, being one of the more successful weapons in Stacy's arsenal.)

And my future life flew before my eyes.




I would like to think that the last two pictures represent N's attempt to break up the lovey-dovey pair, pull John aside, and give him the "touch my sister and die" speech, but I sadly know in my heart of hearts he was really only trying to get their attention so he could point out a particularly interesting piece of cat poop in Daddy's garden.