Saturday, February 9, 2013

Twelve Cheers for Twelve Years

Tomorrow will mark twelve years of marriage to a truly wonderful woman. It astounds me what a quick and easy twelve years it has been. Sure, we've had our share misunderstandings and hurt feelings (generally caused by we-all-know-who), but in the course of twelve years, we've never had a full-on fight.  We are amazingly aligned, compatible, and comfortable with each other.  I love her beyond words.

Nevertheless, here are some words giving the top twelve reasons why, in no particular order.

1. She models gentleness and compassion to our children.

Sure, L and N are occasionally hired by Lucifer himself to do his bidding, but in general they are sweet, gentle, content and loving children.  Mommy's grace, for sure.

2. She chooses to find my idiosyncrasies amusing rather than infuriating.

Stacy:  Steve, where did you put the tea?
Me:  Huh?  It's right where it belongs - filed in the pantry under "T", next to the toilet paper. Duh!

3. She loves old people.

I would estimate that 50% of Stacy's best friends are in their 70s, 80s or 90s. She drinks in their stories, skills and talents, and finds joy in being with them. (This bodes well for me, as I aspire to become one.)

4. Her beauty is displayed in elegant reserve and modesty. 

Aside from an occasional attack of candy-cane colored hair, her wardrobe and accouterments are subtle, elegant and enhance her naturally beauty rather than distract from it.

5. She loves my parents and they love her.

This probably aligns with her ability to handle cranky old bats.  (See #3). Yes, Mom, I'm talking about you...

6. Her quiet faith preaches to me loudly.

Her self-discipline is never bragged about, but it is very convicting nonetheless.  Folly pains her.  I'll laugh when people do stupid things; she'll cry.

7. At the end of the day she is happy to see me even when I'm a nasty, bitter, jaded %@$#&*.

Stacy:  You're home!
Me:  #^$%@!!!
Stacy:  I love you too!

Again, this probably aligns with #3 and #5.

8. She's a fantastic cook.

You probably haven't noticed, but I've put on a little weight in the last 12 years...

9. She handles telemarketers much better than I do.

I'll be on the phone for an hour hearing about new synthetic roof shingles before getting the courage to just hang up.  Stacy will too, but by the end of it she's learned all about the telemarketer's recent bout with cancer, his struggles with inadequacy and self-doubt, and how he thinks that maybe he can make a fresh start after all.

10. She would go to Maine in December if I really wanted her to. 

Though she's made it very clear that I don't really want to.

11. She very rarely nags, so when she does, it's usually worth paying attention to.

Stacy:  Steve, you're coughing up blood again. Don't you think it's time to see a doctor?
Me:  <cough, cough, gurgle>

12. Her works praise her in the city gates.

Stacy has become the defacto public front for our family. The amount of good-will and pleasant service we get from store clerks, doctors' office staff, and the public in general varies greatly depending on whether it's Stacy or I who are doing the face-work. People I've never met before give me instant "good guy" credit simply because they know Stacy.



Happy anniversary, sweetheart!  I love you.



"Many women have done excellently, but you surpass them all.”
--Proverbs 31:29


3 comments:

Anonymous said...

How wonderful the love you have for this precious girl is!!! Do you realize how many girls hearts you are melting with your words? Even a #3, if my senior memory serves me right and it is in reference to the older ones :) Think of the men who are saying, Geez, Steve, you are making me look bad! You need only to teach them how to copy and paste your words for their special ones. All kidding aside, Steve, you and Stacy are without a doubt one of the most loving couples I have ever known. Happy anniversary to you both. May the Lord bless you with many, many more years...at least a 110. I love you♥

Brittany Martin said...

Congratulations!

Tony and Nancy said...

I can whole heartedly agree with what you've written about Stacy. I wish I could be as gracious and humble and kind as she is.

You are pretty cool yourself Sir Steve.

Anniversary Blessings to all 4 of you!

Love,
Nanceinapants