Saturday, October 19, 2013

The Harmony of Great Minds


I took N for burgers today at Five Guys. We had a table near the open kitchen so we sat and watched the crew building the burgers as we ate. I had noticed that they label each burger with a little sticker with a number on it, indicating the burger in the sequence that you ordered it. The stickers were on a large dispenser in the wrapping area and each number had its own sticker roll to pull from. As the burgers would come off the line, the person wrapping them up would grab a sticker from the appropriate roll and fix it to the wrapped burger. I remember thinking that they probably have to keep a lot more rolls with the #1 on inventory than the others. Just as I was thinking this I noticed N looking at the sticker dispenser too. He turned to me and said, "Daddy, I bet they have to change the roll for #1 one a lot more than the others! 'Cause think about it - every order has a #1 but not all of them have a #3, #4 or #5."

I had thought about it, I told him.

No comments: