Wednesday, September 3, 2008

World Wide Web (Almost)


I think I know now what's contributing to L's running spate of nightmares. We've had a consistent and persistent visitor to in our backyard for the last several nights. I discovered our orb weaver unexpectedly, up close and personal, a couple nights ago and am pretty confident my life expectancy dropped a year or two in the process. Now that I know she's around, and I know to venture outside each night a little more gingerly, I can take a more distant and studied appreciation of our visitor and admire her handiwork. Her web truly is impressive. She sets to work on it right outside our backdoor shortly after sunset. I've looked for her in the morning; I saw her out in her full web one morning around 6:00am, but when I checked back a half hour later she had vanished along with the entire web.


L on the watch.


Dispite middle-of-the-night screams to the contrary, L doesn't seem the least bit freaked out to watch her work. We sat out on the back stoop for 30 to 40 minutes a couple of nights ago and watched her circle, circle, circle. I got a spray bottle of water and L had tons of fun misting the web so it glowed in our porch light. Not so sure the orb weaver was as entertained.

1 comment:

? said...

World Wide Web of Spiders