Friday, July 3, 2009

Shadows in the Morning

I was working in my office this morning when I began hearing sustained thump-bumping in the hall outside. Stacy was off running errands, so the sources of the disturbance were significantly reduced. I opened the door to find all the other doors of the hall completely shut, leaving the area in complete darkness except for the light coming from my office and light from one rather pathetically yellow flashlight - an instrument Stacy and I had been looking for for a while, and that evidently had spent away a a sizable chunk of its four-battery life span in the time it went missing.

L & N: [In unison] DAAAD! You're ruining our game!
Daddy: What are you playing?
L: A game. It's called Shadows in the Morning.
N: Shadow in da Morning.
L: It's dark! Do you want to play?
N: It's dark!

I agreed to a primer on the intricate rules of Shadows in the Morning which I can tersely summarize as standing at one end of the darkened hallway while your sibling stands at the other shining a soon-to-expire flashlight at you. The marginally spotlite participant then makes funny faces. For some reason I never quite understood, it is important for both players to be holding swords of some kind during the set. I have yet to be briefed on the system of scoring or exactly how one declares a winner.

No comments: