Friday, July 10, 2009

Vase Still Life with Grapes and Pears



Finished another painting in my painting class. It was the class assignment for the spring semester. Sometimes our teacher encourages us to all do the same painting so we can learn from each other. Other times its open season and you can do what you want. I enjoyed working on this one because I particularly like doing still life, but overall it isn't my personal favorite, mostly because the colors don't fit anywhere in my house. So I'll likely give it away. It's a copy of an original by Elizabeth Robbins Pruitt, painted "for educational purposes," so I can't sell it. In fact I just now identified the original painter and need to add my attribution to the painting so I don't get in trouble. (I.e. "S. Perkins, after E. R. Pruitt")

If you want to see what the original looks like (so you can better mock my version), click here. I think this artist's work is phenomenal.

3 comments:

Mimi2six said...

I came across your blog by accident, I am a stranger leaving a comment on your still life. Wow, your painting caught my attention and I had to stop and have a long look. Your work is awesome. I am impressed with how real the pears look, good enough to eat. The detail on the vase is amazing, the tablecloth looks so soft, the folds and shadows, did I say "wow"! I'm not a pro, but I love to look at good art and as far as I am concerned you did Pruitt proud. The person you are giving this to is lucky, I hope they appreciate it.

Kim said...

As Maddox would say, "OH MY COW!!" (Holy Cow) Steve, awesome work as usual. I can't get over how close it is to the original, you are so talented!

Hugs, Kim

Brittany Martin said...

Saw that at your house and loved it!