Friday, October 9, 2009

The Wizard of Ourz

It's fairly cliché to point out that the younger generation is much more techno-savvy that the preceding one, but the truism has come to settle on me with my son N. I was home from work sick today and Stacy was off taking L to school. N, my responsibility for the hour, came up to me as I was brooding in my office and asked if he could play "Little Einsteins," his favorite web-game. In my cold-medicine stooper I yeah-sure-whatevered him with a dismissive wave of my hand and went back to my really gratifying round of self-pity. A minute or two later my sinus-impacted brain finally let in enough info to come to the conclusion that I'd just agreed to let N have full run of my computer.

I staggered to the kitchen computer desk to find N blissfully playing his game. He had opened the browser, had found the web-site on the favorites pull-down menu, had set the volume, and was happily clicking away helping the Little Einstein crew solve some crisis involving Beethoven's 5th symphony. L is pretty good on a computer, but N smokes her. And he's only three, for crying out loud. I'm so proud of my little computer geek! I almost don't mind the strawberry jelly all over the keyboard.


Now back to my Sudafed® and wallowing.


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hey Steve!
It must be the boys. Mia could really care less about the computer just yet. Maddox does the same thing. He knows how to go to bookmarks, finds his favorite sites all by himself too. Couldn't believe it the first time he did that! He is also figuring out what all of the mouse buttons do and will use the wheel to zoom in and out. I spent many hours last weekend watching caterpillars on youtube make their cocoons (bacoons in Maddox-speak)and emerge as as butterflies! You know how youtube just keeps giving you more and more options?....Lots and lots of caterpillars...........Oh and he is quite aware of the back button so we could see the same caterpillars do it all over again. It amazes me how quickly they pick these things up today. Smart Cookies!
Hugs, Kim