Friday, May 16, 2008

My Penance for Failing to Get a Mother’s Day Card


It’s just not time for Christmas. Easter is passé.
July the Fourth and fireworks are several months away.
Halloween’s too creepy; Boxing day: obscure.
You don’t get into Kwanzaa; Leap year: so unsure.

Labor Day sounds worksome. Flag day feels strung out.
Columbus makes you seasick. (April 1st is just plain out.)
Father’s Day: transgendered. Thanksgiving? ... getting warm.
Arbor Day? Potential -- had you lived on a farm.

Mother’s Day is over; your birthday: months ahead,
Memorial Day’s in a week or two (but that implies you’re dead.)
Valentine’s is jaded; Earth Day’s not your thing
St. Patrick’s Day is taken. Ditto M.L. King

I've run the year in circles; I’m coming to conclude,
There’s just no day worth choosing that strikes that perfect mood.
No day to mark the standard. No day to set the tone.
No day that’s even-handed. No day that’s all your own.

This can't be "luck" or "chances". An oversight? Can't be!
This must have been deliberate. Intended cruelty!
A slight of great proportion. A snub of epic scope!
An injustice unforgiven; But, wait! … I think there's hope.

There's still a way to fix it -- a remedy, I feel
I think we can address it, and start to grow and heal.
Though culture may have faltered and failed to homage pay
I’ll remedy that error, and declare it "Stacy Day"!


No comments: